History

1886

Railway line opened making possible close settlement in this area.

1921 

Land bought for the site of the church on corner of Queen and Stuart Streets. Adjoining land subsequently bought for school site at a cost of ₤590 ($1180).

1922

Census of Catholics taken. 38 families living within present Parish Boundaries.

1923

Archbishop Michael Kelly blessed the foundation stone for the church. Prior to the building of the Church, 
Mass was celebrated in private homes.

1924

Archbishop Kelly opened the Church. Debt to the National Bank ₤3,578-18-10. Classes began in the Church. Sister Thaddeus in charge. The Sisters of Charity were resident at St. Mary’s, Concord and for 13 years traveled daily to Concord West.

1925

Move to separate from St. Mary’s Parish defeated in local ballot of Catholic residents. The collection the previous Sunday was ₤1-10-0 ($3.00).

1929

St Ambrose Parish separated from St. Mary’s. Father John O’Reilly as Parish Priest. Sr. Blandina in charge of school. Difficult times ahead. Onset of the Great Depression.

1930

A cottage in Stuart St. opposite the school was bought and served as a Presbytery until the building of the present Church and Parish House.

1931 

Father (later Monsignor) Leslie Carroll appointed as Parish Priest. He served the Parish until his death thirty-eight years later. He was the inspiration and motivating force behind the present Church and Presbytery.

1937

Cottage in Mackenzie Street bought for use as a Convent.

1949 

Construction of a school building began.

1965

Foundation stone of the new Church laid on 4th April 1965 by Monsignor Carroll.

1970

Father Patrick Frost appointed as Parish Priest. Parents and Friends’ Association established. First Parish Council appointed during Fr. Frost’s incumbency.

1977

Extensions to the school were made.

1978

The last Sisters of Charity leave the school.

1979

Father Kevin McGovern appointed as Parish Priest.

1984

Father Kerry Bayada appointed as Administrator. Ministry of Acolytes instituted.

1985

Father Brian Gallwey appointed as Parish Priest. Antioch group for young parishioners established. 

1995

Father David Vaughan appointed as Parish Priest.
Presbytery converted for greater community use. R.C.I.A. group started.

2000

Major School refurbishment undertaken.
Old Confessionals in the Church converted to Chapels dedicating Mary MacKillop and Sts Anthony and Lucy.

2008

Father Brian Egan appointed Parish Priest.